fluffy buttermilk mashed potatoes
- 4 to 5 medium peeled russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes [905g peeled]
- 8 to 12 medium peeled garlic cloves [30 g]
- 2 tablespoons [30g] butter
- 1 cup [240g] buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped chives (optional) and more melted butter (optional), for serving
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and garlic cloves. Let it come back up to a boil, and then reduce the heat to maintain a low boil. Let them boil for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes and garlic are both completely tender.
- Strain the potatoes and garlic, and leave them in the pot removed from heat. Add the butter and mash everything together. Once the butter melts and the potatoes and garlic are smashed, stir in the buttermilk, black pepper, and salt to taste (about 1 tsp), and place back over low heat. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes, just to allow it to warm up. Place in a large bowl, and top with chives and a little more melted butter, if using.